ProSelect and the Upload Manager both need to connect to the internet and/or your local network to do certain things. ProSelect does this to connect to the ProSelect Network Server and also to check for any program updates. The Upload Manager needs to connect to the internet in order to upload images to Animoto.
If you find that a particular program cannot connect to the internet or other network locations, it may be that Windows Firewall is blocking access.
When running a program for the first time in Windows, you can set the Windows Firewall to block or unblock certain applications. So when you first run ProSelect for example, Windows asks if you want to "Allow" or "Block" the program. You needed to select Allow. If you didn't, you need to manually change this setting by following these steps:
- From the Windows Desktop, click the Windows orb (i.e. start button in the bottom left) and open the Control Panel.
- Select System and Security
- In the Windows Firewall section, select "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall".
- Check the Private & Public boxes next to each each listing of the program to allow access to the network.
- If the program is not listed, you can click the "Allow another app…" button to add it. Choose the program (e.g. ProSelect) in the list and select Add. If the program is not in this list, use the Browse… button to select the program file manually.
- Click OK and then Close
The program should now connect correctly.
If the exceptions box was already checked against all listings of program, then:
- You may have installed another Firewall program and you will need to set the program as "Allowed" or as an exception within that program. Please consult that product's manual on how to make those changes.
- See this article for other solutions.
KnowledgeBase Article: Unblocking Programs in Windows